7 In Stock
2-Dimethylaminoethanol [DMAE] is a compound structurally similar to choline, a precursor to acetylcholine. DMAE can be methylated to form choline. Acetylcholine is mainly thought of as a neurotransmitter, but there is non-neuronal free acetylcholine present in skin. It is thought to have actions separate from its neuronal activity. Acetylcholine regulates basic cellular functions such as proliferation, differentiation, and locomotion. Additionally, choline is an important molecule in phospholipids, which are part of the building block of cell membranes. Compromised cell membranes can be a sign of the aging process.
DMAE is a naturally-occurring substance with significant anti-inflammatory, anti-aging properties. DMAE is found in sardines and anchovies, and small amounts of it are also produced naturally in the human brain. It can also be taken as a nutritional supplement or applied topically to the skin. No matter the method, all three work synergistically for optimum effect.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
DMAE also helps decrease protein crosslinking, a characteristic of aging. Protein crosslinking can reduce the activity of proteins, which are essential for bodily functions.
Numerous studies have shown that topical application of DMAE increases the appearance of firmness, tone and lift to the skin. DMAE also improves the appearance of skin elasticity and luminosity, helping to decrease the look of fine lines and wrinkles while brightening skin’s appearance and evening out imperfections.
There are a number of benefits of DMAE bitartrate in skin care which include the following
- Wrinkle tightener
- Moisturizing and hydration
- Reduce dark circles under eyes
- DMAE not only keeps the cell structure protected, it diminishes the amount of stress a cell must endure by protecting it and preventing the production of arachidonic acid, which is a chemical in the body that causes both inflammation and pain. The antioxidant and structural support of the cell contributes to a firmer and more radiant skin, with less incidence of broken blood vessels, skin discoloration and wrinkles. It is essentially one of the best defenses, not only against natural free radical damage as we age, but it also helps in defying the effects of muscular sagging. It is therefore highly effective in eliminating skin sagging of the neck and chin region.
- Improves skin appearance over the nasolabial fold
- It will enhances the effects of alternative antioxidants and is, therefore, best used in combination with Vitamins A, E, and C or alpha lipoic acid.