Scientific Name – Tamarindus indica
Tamarinds are evergreen tropical trees native to Africa. They grow throughout tropical and subtropical regions of Africa, South Asia, South America and Caribbean islands for their fruits.
It is a large tree with long, heavy drooping branches, and dense foliage. The completely grown-up tree might reach up to 80 feet in height. During each season, curvy, bean-shaped fruit pods cover all over its branches in abundance. Each pod has a hard, outer coat (shell) encasing beaded, deep brown, soft pulp. The fruit flesh in turn envelopes around 2-10 hard, dark-brown seeds. Inside the shell, this edible fruit pulp is held together by extensive fiber network that runs its entire length from pedicle to the tip.
Health Benefits of Tamarind
- Tamarind fruit contains certain health benefiting essential volatile chemical compounds, minerals, vitamins and dietary fiber.
- Its sticky pulp is a rich source of non-starch polysaccharides (NSP) or dietary fiber such as gums, hemicelluloses, mucilage, pectin, and tannins.
- Also, dietary fibers in the pulp bind to bile salts (produced from cholesterol) and decrease their reabsorption in the colon; thereby help in expulsion of “bad” or LDL cholesterol levels from the body.
- While lemon composes citric acid, tamarind is rich in tartaric acid. Tartaric acid gives the sour taste to food besides its intrinsic activity as a potent antioxidants. It helps the human body protect from harmful free radicals.
- This is a good source of minerals like copper, potassium, calcium, iron, selenium, zinc and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Iron is essential for red blood cell production and as a co-factor for cytochrome oxidases enzymes.
- Further, it is also rich in many vital vitamins, including thiamin (36% of daily required levels), vitamin-A, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin-C. Much of these vitamins plays antioxidant as well as co-factor functions for enzyme metabolism in the human body.SKIN BENEFITS
- Skin lightening
- Natural skin exfoliating agent
- Removes dark circles around eyes
- Prevents hair loss
- Helps treat oily scalp
Counrty of Origin – India