Polyquaternium is an anti-static agent and film former seen primarily in hair care products. Polyquaternium 39 (in conjunction with fatty alcohol and a surfactant) provides “hair conditioning composition with excellent body enhancing and volume up effect especially for fine hair and also gives hair excellent combability, elasticity and shine. Polyquaternium-39 is an amphoteric polymer, high charge density, moisture, and the PH for a wide range (1-14). These copolymers are recommended to improve wet and dry properties of hair care products, and to enhance feel in skin care products.
- Contributes luster and a soft, silky feel; provide rich, creamy foam to shampoos
- Provides excellent slip, lubricity and snag-free wet compatibility without excessive buildup
- Imparts excellent dry compatibility
- Panel studies document excellent hair softness and wet hair feel during washing, rinsing and after rinsing
- Helps hold curls without flaking
- Imparts a smooth, velvety feel; reduces tightness after drying skin
- Provides excellent moisturization
- Contributes lubricity which can help make skin care products easier to apply
- Liquid cleansing products acquire richer foam with improved stability
Polyquaternium 39 works by providing a positive charge to counteract the negative charge often found in shampoos and other hair care products. They bond ionically to the hair and “and provide conditioning benefits such as ease of combing, hair alignment, elasticity and shine,”
Polyquaternium-39 is used in skin care products: moisturizing creams, lotions, bath gels, liquid soaps, soap bars, shaving products and deodorants.